[nabs-l] College Math

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 21:00:21 UTC 2016

Hi Syed,
I might suggest joining the BlindMath list on NFBNet to get more
answers about LATX and Nemeth resources, since those folks will be
more knowledgeable about higher math content.
I haven't taken a lot of math but have taken a lot of statistics which
is similar (but not the same) as math. For me personally, if a Braille
textbook wasn't available, my next favorite solution was to listen to
a text in human-recorded audio through Learning Ally (or hire a human
reader) and then take copious notes in Braille while I was listening
to the problems and equations being read aloud. I used the same method
to handle lectures and problems read orally in-class. If you decide to
do this, you can take notes using any form of Braille you are
comfortable with-slate, Perkins or refreshable Braille device (or a
combination). Also, since they're your notes, Nemeth code doesn't
matter. You can write your notes in contracted Braille, computer
Braille, or any combination of symbols that make sense to you when you
read them back. You can then type your problems out in a Word document
on the computer or on a Braille device.
Sometimes if something wasn't clear, I would ask my prof or TA to
email me a formula that was typed out in words in case JAWS couldn't
read the equations and symbols. For example "2 plus 2 equals 4X". They
were generally happy to do this and it didn't take much of their time.
I hope this is a start and the Blind Math folks should be able to give
you more details about how to read and write equations in LATX.

Best, Arielle