[nabs-l] considering the possibility of adding either a windows tablet with JAWS or NVDA, or an iPad with Voice Over to my arsenal of tech gadgets.

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 21:09:26 UTC 2016

Hi, Kayla,

I know what i might say might spark some controversy in light of
resolution 2016-4, but I think it has value so I'm going to go for it
just as my personal opinion.  I would go with a good IPad hands down.
The windows tablets I have seen have not been as functional and have
had more issues in the OS, and though you could use NVDA which is
free, you could have voiceover already installed on the IPad.  There
are plenty of different word processing applications for the IPad and
other apple products that work well, including MS Word and Pages.
Access Note is a free word processing app the AFB put out that works
quite well, and the notes app isn't horrible itself for things less
important than term papers.  Each would have its merrits, but I
personally think the IPad is more user-friendly especially using it in
the ways you're describing.

HTH.

On 7/13/16, Kayla Weathers via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi NABS,
> I’m considering the possibility of adding either a windows tablet with
> JAWS or NVDA, or an iPad with Voice Over to my arsenal of tech
> gadgets. I would be pairing a Bluetooth keyboard with the device as
> well. In terms of productivity, I’d be interested to hear anyone’s
> experiences with using either of these devices. I’m particularly
> interested in features such as word processing
> (reading/writing/editing,) web browsing, emailing, and file sharing as
> well as the accessibility of accessing PDF documents. I appreciate and
> welcome any feedback.
> Thanks, Kayla
> --
> Kayla Weathers.