[nabs-l] Is It just Me: Academic Challenges

Cricket Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 19:53:10 UTC 2016

Christina,

The answer to all of those questions is yes. It should be for everyone
on this group, and if it's not, then we have a certifiable genius in
our midst. Yes, assignments take longer, for a variety of reasons.
Things can be harder to understand depending on the way you think.
Contrary to popular disbelief, there are some blind people who think
very visually. Yes, there are many challenges that come with being a
blind student. Math, geometry, chemistry, physics, you name it. I was
told, in fact, that I would not pass geometry because I'm blind. I
took Honors Geometry my Freshman year of high school and passed both
semesters with very very high A's.

Any academic challenge can be overcome with just a little bit of
innovation. I find that any solution is generally specific to the
challenge though. The main issue is time management. Great job in
pointing that out. Everyone manages time a little differently. I
always do math first thing when I get home, and then work my way
through to the easier subjects. I'm not saying you should do that. You
have to find a system that works for you. Trial and error is a way of
figuring that out. I always like to do easy stuff last because if I
fall asleep, I won't have problems making up the work in the morning.

And that's another problem. Sleep. For me, sleep is put on the back
burner, but that's because I throw all my time and energy into
academics. There are people who don't do that. And sleep is important.
You just have to find the balance that works for you. If you're tired,
don't be afraid to put things away and get some rest. If you don't,
you just might fall asleep on your laptop. I've done that a lot, and
yet I still ignore exhaustion like the plague.

I realize this might not be the most helpful nonadvice in the world
because I haven't been very specific. Feel free to get back to me on
or off-list. I'll be happy to help however I can!

Best,
Cricket Bidleman