[nabs-l] Is It just Me: Academic Challenges

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 22:20:06 UTC 2016

Hi Christina,

Let's see if I can add anything to this discussion.  My professors and
bosses have always accused me of working too quickly.  I never found
that I needed a lot (if any) extra time in undergrad or graduate
school when taking tests either online or in Braille.

Taking notes is your besty!  Seriously, I used to sit with my note
taker open and ready and listen to my textbooks or read them in
Braille.  I took notes either in my own words if I had energy or
copied lists of facts or random points if I thought I wouldn't
remember them later.  If you are reading and you come across a fact
you already know or one you believe to be obvious, don't you dare
write it down.  :)  Your brain has already got that, and it will save
you time if you simply write out what you won't remember later.  How
do you know what you don't remember?  Well, it comes down to knowing
yourself, knowing what you've studied before, and experiencing
forgetfulness in different subjects.  Do you forget numbers and dates?
 Do you have a difficult time with names?  Do you struggle with
concepts?  I understand concepts quickly but struggle to remember
little things like dates and names.

I often wished I could highlight and write all over my books, but it's
actually better for your memory to write it out while you're listening
or reading in Braille.  If the information goes into your brain in
multiple ways, then you will remember it better.  You can also use a
computer and screen reader if Braille isn't your thing, but beware
dividing your ears between your book and your screen reader.

Jameyann's suggestion to do something with your hands while reading is
great.  I do that if for some reason I did not wish to take notes.
You can also work on memorizing concepts while you're walking or
waiting.  Our Italian professor told us to go through verb
conjugations in our heads every hour.  Running down German, French,
and Italian vocab and grammar stuff in my head definitely kept me
sharp.  If you find gaps as you're reviewing it on your daily walks,
then you know where to go in the book next time you open it.  I
believe this could work with concepts in other fields in addition to
foreign languages.  I have little experience with ?STEM fields though.

As for articles, I don't know what your situation is with your DSS
office providing you with texts in electronic formats, but I used to
be quite clear about how I liked things formatted.  I preferred
folders with a chapter per file in HTML.  Word docs were also good.
Know which format will work the best, and ask for your texts in that
format.

I don't know what my secret is when it came to tests.  I had a harder
time with foreign language tests that were in grade one Braille,
especially because I had to read the Braille and then write out
answers on the computer.  I generally only needed like 15 extra
minutes or so.  I think the memorizing helped...  No, the first test
usually took a few minutes longer, and then after that, the formats
usually follow the same order.  That helps you know how to study.  If
you are prepared (or desperate), that test will go by in no time!  :)

I'll try to think of more...  Hope that helped a little.