[nabs-l] Question about SSI

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 18:42:04 UTC 2016

Hello Kennedy,

Thank you for providing this information. It is good to know that Social
Security reduces the amount of the check you receive if you are not paying
rent. However, as I understand it, most people who attend NFB training
centers such as the Louisiana Center for the Blind do not pay rent as this
is generally paid as a part of attending an NFB training center. Therefore,
I do not see what the difference would be in terms of the amount of Social
Security would be.

However, with this said, I believe it is a good practice to pay rent as an
adult while living with your parents. Even if someone lives nearby on
campus, but then comes home on the weekends to do laundry, eat some nice
home cooking food, and use the internet while staying the night, these are
all expenses that require money, even if someone is just using these
services on a limited basis on the weekends. Paying a small amount of rent
on a monthly basis will satisfy the rent requirement from Social Security
while demonstrating to your parents that you are a responsible adult who is
willing to help contribute to household expenses.  While this may not
automatically mean that your parents will treat you like an adult rather
than a child, taking steps in acting like a responsible adult will more
likely lead to your parents interacting with you as an adult rather than a
child.

Anyway, I hope this information is helpful.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth