[nabs-l] My Blindness Philosophy is Better than Yours

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 22:41:41 UTC 2016

Hi Joe,

Looking at your full article, you seem to be conflating two
separate issues.  One is whether we should judge or look down on
people who are les independent than we are or who do not know how
to (or find it very difficult to) do certain things
independently.  I agree with what you have to say about this.
Different people have different levels of training, different
sets of additional disabilities, different life experiences, and
different preferences, and it's up to each person to figure out
what they are comfortable doing on their own and what they need
help with.  The second issue is whether we should take advantage
of our blindness to get "perks" that sighted people offer us and
that we don't really need.  I think this kind of case is
completely different from one in which a blind person needs help
or an accommodation to do something.  Cutting in line, taking
someone else's seat because they feel sorry for us and offer it,
getting schools to exempt us from general education requirements
because there's a class we don't want to take and we can spin it
as being too hard for a blind person, avoiding academic
requirements like following the appropriate style guide for the
field one is writing a paper in, getting on the plane before
everyone else so we have room for our bag in the overhead bin,
etc. are not accommodations to help us claim our right to be in
the world.  They are a way of taking advantage of sighted people
who feel sorry for us and, in many cases, trust us to be honest
when we say that something is a necessary accommodation.
Refusing to do this sort of thing has nothing to do with how we
appear.  It's about integrity.  This being said, of course not
going first in line when you actually got to the front of the
line first is silly.  I have no idea why your friend wanted to go
back in line unless they didn't realize they got there first.

Best,
Karl