[nabs-l] My Blindness Philosophy is Better than Yours

annajee82 at gmail.com annajee82 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 23:44:06 UTC 2016

Good discussion. I think one of the key words that has been used by some, is "integrity". If some other person got to the gate first, I would expect them to board first; and they have every right to do so. If said person gets to the gate last, or somewhere in the middle, I expect them not to board first; they don't have the right to do so. In fact, if someone who was not at the gate first, boarded first, I would not be happy about it. It is unreasonable. What right does that person have that I don't? If there is some reason why they really do need to, then that's fine. But I can't think of a reason for me, as a blind person, to do that. If I do not hold myself to the standards I have for others, I have lost something of my own integrity.

To take this one step further, I work really hard every day fighting for civil rights. (Yes, it is really work). I attempt to bring the message everywhere I go, that we are intelligent, capable, skilled, hard-working people. That we want to be, and deserve, as human beings, to be treated equally. I absolutely feel that if I, for example, go to the front of a line, when I have no real reason  to do so, that I am practicing a different message: "I want to be treated equally, unless I could benefit from being treated unequally." Does it make a difference if I refuse the offer to go to the front of line or not? I don't know. But I know what I believe- that I deserve to be treated as a whole human being who among other things happens to be blind, not just as the blind person. II find it likely that there are times it has no positive effect on those around me if I go ahead and stand in that line, but I am also quite sure there are times that people see me and realize for the first time that a blind person is capable of standing in line. And although it may be a small thing, it is a step in the right direction of changing the mind of the public.

Those are my experiences, beliefs and thoughts.

With rights come responsibilities.

Thanks for the discussion.

Anna E Givens