[nabs-l] Google drive

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 19:16:31 UTC 2016

Hi,

I use NVDA with Firefox; I haven't checked the latest JAWS
improvements. Press alt-control-z when you open a document to insure
screen reader accessibility is on. You edit the doc the way you would
any other. When commenting, I ask collaborators to be ok with turning
on email notifications for comments. This means comments are emailed
to you and you can reply to them with email rather than navigating the
comments list which I have found to not be very accessible. If anyone
has further comments on commenting in Google apps accessibly, I'd love
to learn.

At a higher level, Google Drive is the interface where your folders
and files are organized. You can press enter on a box that can be
organized in a list or grid fashion, and you can choose in the
settings whether you want it to be ordered with recently-viewed files
first, alphabetical, etc. I tend to prefer seeing recently-viewed
files first since first letter navigation does not work in this box.
You can right click on files to download them, share them, rename
them, etc. I find this to be very helpful rather than opening the
document and navigating the menus for similar options. If you download
from Drive, it will download the Office equivalent, pdf files from
google docs, powerpoints from slides, and excel or csv from sheets. I
am not sure what happens when you download from Drive onto a mac.

For keystrokes to use any specific app, Google something like "google
docs keyboard shortcuts" and you'll get a pretty comprehensive list.
Several keystrokes are 3 and 4 key combinations and quite cumbersome.
The file menu for example can be accessed with alt-shift-f. I tend to
write long passages in word and paste them into docs if I am working
on something where the workload has been clearly divided.

If your screen reader is laggy (something that happens to me), insure
your Firefox is updated and refresh the screen. I have found that with
slides, I have to do this quite frequently, so again, if someone has
further advice on this, please reply.

If you want to create a new file or folder, open the parent folder you
want to store it in and shift tab from the box of folders and files a
couple of times to find the new button. Once you press enter on it,
you will get a list of options, to create a folder, upload a file, or
create file types like docs, slides, sheets or forms. Again, I haven't
configured anything to work with JAWS and right now, JAWS will not
read the list of things to create. If the parent folder is shared, and
if you create anything other than uploading a file, you will have to
tab to the ok button on a pop-up confirming that you are ok with the
newly-created thing being shared with everyone with whom the parent
folder is shared.

If someone shares a file or folder with you, you will probably get an
email alerting you. Press the "open" link on this email. You can then
tab or shift tab and press an "add to my drive" button. I do this
because if you don't, the next time you try to access the folder or
file through Google Drive, you will first have to change the "my
drive" setting to "shared with me." You can do this by pressing enter
on "my drive", arrowing down, and pressing enter on "shared with me."
But I prefer everything in one place which is why I suggest you "add
to my drive" everything that is shared with you which you will have to
view or edit more than once.

I hope this is a bit helpful if scattered.

Cindy