[nabs-l] Robert Parsons for Board Member

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 21:25:25 UTC 2016

Greetings NABS family,

My name is Robert Parsons and I am excited to be writing to each of you
today.

I hope that your semesters have gone swimmingly and wish the best to all
students currently enrolled in summer courses at their respective
institutions. While I am originally from New York, I am now an undergraduate
college student at J. Sergeant Reynolds Community College studying
sociology. As a young leader in our movement, I dove into the roles of 2nd
Vice President of the Richmond chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia and as the Chair of the Communications and Fundraising
committees for the Virginia Association of Blind Students.

I write today to formally announce that I am running for a position on the
board of the National Association of Blind Students. You may be thinking,
why?

There are three core reasons that demonstrate my capabilities as an asset in
our organization on the national level.

First, in terms of determination and dependability, I am a leader that
follows through on projects and initiatives. Instead of an initiator, I am
an orientor. This statement holds true through my involvement as the
coordinator of the Exhibit Hall table for the NFB of Virginia. My
professional and personal characteristics were the driving reason I pulled
in 22 exhibitors and 5 sponsors, yet it was my motivation and strategic
methodology in terms of communication and work ethic that secured
long-lasting relationships with these vendors.

Secondly, our organization is one that I've always held in high regard for
shaping and growing leaders of the Federation, a task that I plan to
accomplish with the help of my fellow students. I have learned from our
leaders, and I want to share my experiences with each of you.

Finally, I bring a welcoming sense of practicality to the student sphere.
Aside from spending time on contemplating which methods of promotion or
fundraising could work for NABS, I will diligently work towards ascertaining
methods that will work to further make NABS an entity that continues to pave
the way in raising the expectations for blind students all over the country.
I want to both continue and begin initiatives that align with our National
Federation of the Blind philosophy, while expanding our membership and
encouraging students to get involved.

During National Convention, I will indeed be serving as a mentor for both
NABS and the Virginia affiliate's program for new attendees. I hope that the
platforms and principles I have mentioned resonates empathy and helps push
you to vote for me for a board member position at this year's election.
Let's make NABS a movement that is undeniable by electing individuals that
can stand behind its claims and provide our students with the advocacy and
camaraderie it deserves. I look forward to meeting those who are attending
National convention in just over a month!

Thank You,

Robert Parsons

Board Member | Virginia Association of Blind students