[nabs-l] Braille Transcriber

Miso Kwak misokwak12 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 04:57:42 UTC 2016

Vejas,
I don't know the fine details of the law or policies here but I would
suggest that you talk to disability services on your campus. Tell
him/her why you think Braille transcriber would be helpful and
necessary for taking mathematics course. Also suggest the transcriber
you have in mind.
Contact the transcriber before you have this meeting and ask how
he/she usually handles this type of situation. I had a music Braille
transcriber that I wanted to get service from and she and my
university's disability service staff handled the matter.
In my case, there was initially some disagreement on hiring this
particular person but after a few negotiating talk between me, the
center for accessible education director, and the transcriber, we were
able to figure it out.

I personally don't think you have to pay for the transcriber because
you are taking a math course offered by your university and it is your
school's responsibility to provide your classroom materials in an
accessible format that works for you.

Best,
Miso Kwak