[nabs-l] Regarding Another Blind Student on Campus

Lizzy lizzym0827 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 12:58:05 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas,
	I still agree with Kennedy's first assertion though.
Definitely don't approach your fellow student in a "this is
what you should do" kind of way or even in a "this is what I
do" sort of way.  Just be yourself and do you.  When he sees
what you're doing and how you're living life, trust me,
he'll ask for advice.  You could slip your time at LCB or
something about a training center into the conversation once
or twice if it seems fitting just to test his initial
reaction.  But definitely don't lead with that foot.
Everyone is at different points in their readiness to accept
blindness and blindness skills so I think the best way to
get him thinking about training is to show him that you have
the confidence to take charge and live the life you want
thanks to an NFB training center.  The reason I give this
advice is because I don't think I'd like a perfect stranger
telling me what they think is best for me when they don't
even know my personal situation.  So during your lunch, I'd
advise you to get to know him before you give him advice.
Even if it is coming from a good place, he may not view it
as such...  And the last thing you want to do is push him
away from training.
HTH,
Lizzy