[nabs-l] Regarding Another Blind Student on Campus

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 15:12:27 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas,
You mentioned that this student uses a cane at night. I think this is
a positive sign that he has already received some training and is
willing to at least consider using nonvisual skills some of the time.
He may simply not know about VoiceOver or not realize how effective it
is. I am not sure if he would need to go to a training center just to
learn VoiceOver and related skills.
It also sounds like you already know him well enough that he's told
you about his difficulties using his phone in the sun. If you are
going to see him again, perhaps the next time he complains about the
sunlight, you could casually mention that you use VoiceOver on your
phone and ask him if he has ever tried using it. If he hasn't, this
will give you the chance to teach him some basics. If he has, you can
listen to his response to figure out if perhaps he has a misconception
about VoiceOver that you could clear up for him, or if he has a
legitimate reason for not using it.
Generally my approach is not to preach about nonvisual techniques
uninvited, but to casually bring them up if somebody complains about
the problems they are having using visual techniques.
Best, Arielle