[nabs-l] Law School's Power Over Readers for Outside of Class Work Paid for by the state

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 21 00:38:24 UTC 2016

Amy,
I think this is a good question for the blind lawyers list or a blind lawyer
such as Scott Labarre.

Since people with disablities by definition cannot do something, it seems to
me a reasonable accommodation to use the assistance of another human to do
the tasks you cannot do. Hearing impaired people use interpreters, a
paraplegitic uses a personal care attendant to assist in transfering from
wheelchairs, and blind people can and should use readers.

So, what you are using the reader for seems perfectly legal and an
acceptable accommodation.

Also, I'm not sure how your school would find out that you used someone's
help to do your homework anyway.

So, no I do not see how the school can penalize you for using outside
assistance to mitigate your disability.

Ashley