[nabs-l] Another Questions about Professors

Karl Martin Adam kmaent1 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:34:21 UTC 2016

Hi Elizabeth,

My own practice in the past has been to ignore this sort of
thing, because I tend to be non-confrontational and because I
recognize that sighted people who talk like this mean well even
though they're doing something harmful.  If this has reached a
level where you can't do that and still function well in his
class, I do think talking to him respectfully and not in front of
others could help.  You could just say what you've told this
list--that this makes you uncomfortable, that you're capable of
opening the door and such on your own, that you don't see
yourself as amazing.  If he's not part of the right wing backlash
against what they like to call "political correctness," you could
talk about how the assumption that you as a blind person can't do
things and the low standards that goes along with that is an
unintentional microaggression, and you could talk about the
problems of stereotype threat and all the data that shows that
low expectations cause poor academic performance.  Given that
this is a sociologist, perhaps you could forward him some
sociological studies on the subject of these sorts of attitudes
towards disability.  I don't have references to them off the top
of my head, but if you like I could share your story with the
blind academics list (which includes a number of sociologists)
and ask if they can recommend anything.  You might also try
sending him some material by, for example, Dr. Jurnigan about
this sort of thing.

HTH,
Karl