[nabs-l] Ceramics

Kristen Steele kskristen at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 15:51:00 UTC 2016

Hi, JJ--

I took a Ceramics class in high school. The pattern required in yours
adds an extra difficulty, especially if you're doing multiple colors.
For painting specific designs, I often looked for stencils, and my
para would hold that up against the object while I painted within the
lines by feel. You need several coats with glaze, so I would start on
it, do a coat or two, and them have her guide my hand for touch-ups
and to get it spread evenly within the creases. I didn't want mine to
look any differently or stand out as messy. A para is there to help,
and I would use her sight on something as visual as Ceramics, but make
it more of a teamwork idea, not having her take over.

Also, I would share your ideas with your teacher, and ask for some
leniency on grading. I remember doing a pinch pot on the wheel, and
even with my teacher's guidance, he gave me a D because it wasn't
exactly the same height on either side. I ended up taking that course
just for enjoyment, and my counselor made it a pass/fail grade, so it
wouldn't affect my GPA, which is something you could check into if you
feel you aren't being graded fairly.
--
Kristen