[nabs-l] printing assignments

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 12 14:07:35 UTC 2016

Hello Sophie,

It is good to hear that your experience in college is going well so far. Here are some ideas you may wish to try for printing hard copies of assignments for your professor.

First, you could try using NVDA on the library computers to make them accessible. This is a free screen reader that you can load onto a computer from a thumb drive. However, not everyone is comfortable or has the time to learn a new screen reader. Therefore, this may or may not be an option for you.

Another option you could try is to see if you can print documents on the printers in the library from your own computer. If they are wireless printers, you may be able to connect to them from your own computer. Someone from the library or the technology department on campus should be able to tell you whether or not this is possible, and if so, they should be able to assist you in setting up the printer connection on your computer.

I would try other options before asking the professor to allow you to simply email the assignments to him or her. Although this is definitely a reasonable accommodation, I feel as though others see me as more of an equal when I am able to find a way to do something that fits the style of the professor rather than simply defaulting to asking for an accommodation.

We still live in a world that relies on print, and some people prefer hard copy print rather than electronic print. I do not see any reason why a blind student cannot produce an assignment in hard copy print if this is what the professor wants.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth