[nabs-l] A Complaint And A Recommendation I Feel Should Be Made

David Dunphy discoduck221 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 30 01:58:21 UTC 2016

Hi All!
Before going further, I want to apologize in advance if anyone finds
fault, anger, irritation, or anything similar in nature to those
feelings with what I'm about to say. However, when a situation comes
up that is being ignored, or at least, it appears, is being ignored by
our leadership, it has to be brought out. And unfortunately, this is
the second time I'm mentioning it, and because attempts to talk to
people privately are being ignored, I feel now that it's time to make
it known where I'm at, and my opinion on what should be done. I'm not
trying to disrespect the organization, but I feel that the people in
charge need to take responsibility when the ball is dropped.
Not long ago, you may recall I wrote to this list asking if people on
here who paid the ten dollars required to Luke for their Student
Success Toolkit thumb drives had received their drives. I posed this
question because I had not received my drive after having made a
payment and not receiving mine in the mail. I waited two weeks because
I know people in school gget busy.
So I wrote to Luke asking about this, and copied the nabs president,
Kathryn Webster, on the message. Luke wrote back, saying he sent it,
but had no tracking information.
I found this a bit disturbing because when you ask people to pay for
items to support an organization like this, even if it means you have
several people involved, tracking information needs to be had in case
something like this happens. Luke said he'd look into it, but no more
communications from him were received.
So at this point, I wrote to this list asking if anyone had not
received their drives, and one person replied to say they hadn't. The
board member Brian replied, telling me to send him my address
privately and I would get the drive right away.
I did email him privately, and even told him that I meant no
disrespect to the board in publicly bringing this up, but that it's
not fair for people not to receive what they pay for. I even told
Brian if he needed paypal transaction details for his records to let
me know.
Fast forward two weeks. Still nothing. Not only that, no email to
confirm this drive had been sent, nothing to indicate that I could
track it, Nothing. Even if Brian didn't get my response, no follow up?
Nothing to say I never heard back. No show of concern to see if this
was resolved, considering money is involved? I can share these emails
if no one believed any of this took place, as I keep records when
money is involved.
Because of this, I would encourage anyone who has been thinking of
buying one of these success toolkit thumb drives (if they even exist)
to not participate in this fund raising effort.
I further suggest that anyone who has not received a thumb drive, if
paid for, that you dispute the transaction with your bank, paypal, or
whatever financial institution you used to make your payment. Nabs
leadership needs to know this is not acceptable, and the lack of
concern shown is disturbing to say the least.
I realize it's a new board with some new people, and as I said above,
I know students get busy. Hell, I'm going to be a student again in
about two weeks too, so I get how things are.
Nevertheless, this lack of organization, and worse, communication when
the product paid for is not received is absolutely disgraceful. And
it's robbery and fraud to take from people and not provide what is
promised in exchange for the money sent. It's actually a violation of
the law if you get right down to it, as it's a form of stealing.
I can't say what others who may have had the same problems as me will
do, but if I get no consistent communication from anyone on how this
can be resolved, on Monday, I will go to paypal and dispute the
transaction, show all evidence of my communications, including info on
the fund raiser, and my email interactions. And I can assure you I
will win, especially when they see I'm not the only person who didn't
get their drive. I hope it doesn't come to my having to do this, but I
will do what is necessary to ensure I get what I pay for or that my
money is returned. I can assure you, too, that until there's better
communication and organization that I will be hesitant to give money
to Nabs for awhile. Trust has to be earned when broken.