[nabs-l] Internships was Re: "Conversation starter"/question related to the field of study you are pursuing

David Andrews dandrews at visi.com
Sat Apr 15 16:44:20 UTC 2017

I am an old guy, and not a student. I know some things have changed
... but I have my doubts about a "remote internship."  Yes, you could
get some experience, but you would miss other things.  It has been
over 40 years since I had my first internship, but most of its
benefit came from just observing people at work, watching how they
did things, learning how they interacted with others etc. Then there
was the network I built up, from personal contacts, and other
opportunities it offered me. Without the interpersonal contact, the
experience wouldn't have been nearly as rich, and I would have
learned a very narrow range of stuff. I interned at a radio station
and interacted with the on-air staff, production staff, news, sales,
engineering and management on a daily basis.  I would guess that if
some kind of remote thing would even be possible, I would have been
limited to one department, couldn't have easily done them all.

Dave