[nabs-l] Managing My Kid

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 19:23:02 UTC 2017

If the group is meant to go together, you probably should go with the group,
to keep things fun for all the kids and also to let them implicitly know you
can keep up. Maybe see if you can spend enough time with your kid alone so
you can identify their voice from all the others. If the kid is
responsible/old enough, see if they'd be willing to guide you. If not,
consider walking with one of the adults instead. Be sure to let your kid
know what you need, and ask questions.

Kid: "That's so cool!"
You: "That sounds awesome! Can you tell me about it? What's its colour?
What's the best thing about it?"

Obviously modify as needed, but keep the conversation going and understand
that you'll really have to verbalize all of your needs here, as kids don't
tend to get it too well that pointing won't work...

You can also try the "I have eyes in my hands so have to hold things to see
them" trick, but this may not work with kids old enough to know you're not
speaking literally...

Good luck, and have fun!

Sarah