[nabs-l] Managing My Kid

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 5 20:17:14 UTC 2017

I'd  say definitely go with a group; otherwise you have to have  some
sighted help from the store. It will be more fun and interactive doing it
with students you know.
Do you have any vision? If not you will need the kid to be real verbal. Ask
him or her what they want to buy first. Then keep in mind what sort of price
you want to spend. If it were me, I'd find out pricing  or a ballpark price
number before hand.

If you cannot see the toys, then maybe your kid can describe them and what
they are. If they cannot do that and some cannot due to their age or limited
english, then ask a fellow student.
Toys now a days are wrapped up  in boxes and everything feels similar. If
your kid wants  something like stuffed animals or
balls, then you might have a better opportunity to help them. Its my
experience you can touch the stuffed animals; not always in boxes and even
the boxed ones have an opening you can touch them.
The balls  are often out of boxes too.

As far as independence, you can be more independent if you know the layout
of the store roughly like know where the cash register is. This way once you
are done shopping you can take the kid right over to buy it and not have to
wait for a sighted group member to help you.
So, my advice is try to go to the store beforehand to get a feel for the
layout and what types of merchandise is there.

This visual shopping is why I never did a kid shopping spree although I had
that opportunity to do that with many nonprofits.
Ashley