[nabs-l] access to ebsco ebooks help

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 14 00:25:56 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Please give me some help about access to ebsco ebooks if they are accessible to jaws.
I am trying to research and among the resources are three ebooks run through the ebsco group.
They are pdfs and you can open them online to view in the web browser.

The problem is I can open it and read the contents but I cannot open up the chapters. There is a button that jaws says “closed collapsed”  and I try to open it by pressing enter and space. Then jaws jumps the cursor to the edit field that goes to a page search or jumps to somewhere else on the page.
Its difficult to describe. But, I cannot figure out how to navigate and read it is the gist of the issue.

Any help or suggestions will be helpful. I was hoping I could just activate the links by pressing enter as I do with other websites but this is not the case. I have navigated books in html before but not an online pdf book.

I’m so frustrated. I use my reader for print sources and we have little time to mess with technology; she does not read ebooks; does not own a kindle or other tablet, so navigating an ebook would be new to her using the mouse; so that’s one reason I stayed away from using ebooks with her.
Since she owns no tablet or good laptop, we would have to use the school’s laptops anyway to read them and I really don’t want to do that because using tech adds another layer of learning when she is also trying to skim and look for info for me. I have tried a number of print sources already which proved unuseful so I thought maybe these ebooks might be what I need. I really hope I can find a way to access them.

Thanks,
Ashley