[nabs-l] AP Chemistry and Pre-Calcus

Miso Kwak misokwak12 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 22:58:58 UTC 2017

Hi Ahbee,
It has been a while but I did take AP chemistry and precalculus as a
high school student.
For me having materials in Braille along with appropriate tactile
graphics was crucial. I also used talking scientific calculator.
Plastic model kit will come handy for AP chemistry especially when you
learn about molecular structures and organic chemistry.
Finally, my AP chemistry teacher supported me through help after
school (he did this not just for me but my sighted classmates as well)
when there were things that I did not understand from the class
session.
My point of bringing this up is that it will be important for you to
have a teacher who is willing to work with you. If it is possible, try
to get assigned to a teacher who is open to working with you. Most
likely the teacher will never have taught a blind student in AP class
before (that was true for me although I had him in regular chemistry
class leading up to AP). Similarly, it will be new for you to work on
the materials so working together between you and the teacher and any
other support staff (e.g., tvi) will be an important aspect of your
success.

Best,
Miso