[nabs-l] MIUSA Launches #AccessLanguages Campaign

NCDE Clearinghouse clearinghouse at miusa.org
Thu Feb 16 17:30:11 UTC 2017

Greetings colleagues,
The National Clearinghouse on Disability & Exchange (NCDE), a project
sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and administered by MIUSA,
launches a campaign to promote the inclusion of people with disabilities
in foreign language learning and teach abroad programs!
The chance to learn or teach a language abroad can be an excellent step
toward more international exchanges or career advancement, and we want
to make sure that people with disabilities are also accessing these
opportunities. We intend to do that by developing resources on teaching
and learning a foreign language abroad with a disability, and on
including people with disabilities in international exchange language
programs. We also plan to feature stories of successful people with
disabilities who study or teach a language abroad.
We can’t do this alone though. Here’s how you can help!
1)    Are you an alumnus with a disability from a language
teaching/study program? SHARE your experience with us.
2)    Are you staff of a language study/teaching program that
successfully included an individual with a disability? TELL us about it.
3)    Do you know a program staff or alumnus? CONNECT us with them.
4)    PROMOTE the campaign using “#AccessLanguages” and follow to keep
up with all of the upcoming resources.
http://www.miusa.org/news/2017/accesslanguages.
We plan to do a 3-week social media push starting next week. Here are
some ideas of what you might post to your social media pages.
Twitter
• Check out #AccessLanguages resources from @MobilityINTL re language
learning for people w/disabilities globally. http://ow.ly/2jYn306PZOL
• #LanguageMatters for everyone including people w/disabilities. Time to
#AccessLanguages abroad. http://ow.ly/2jYn306PZOL
• #AccessLanguages promotes the inclusion of pwd in teaching/learning
globally! http://ow.ly/2jYn306PZOL
• ESL for ALL includes students with disabilities! #AccessLanguages
@TESOL http://ow.ly/2jYn306PZOL
Facebook:
• #AccessLanguages promotes the inclusion of people with disabilities to
learn and teach a foreign language abroad! Share the possibilities!
• #AccessLanguages abroad creates access to opportunities for all
including people with disabilities!
• Share a quick story about a #AccessLanguages experience abroad as a
student or teacher with a photo.
• Learning/Teaching ___________ in ______________ was just the beginning
for me, which is why I think that #LanguageMatters. Check out the
resources that Mobility International USA is creating for people with
disabilities to #AccessLanguages.
E-mail us at Clearinghouse at miusa.org to participate in the campaign and
for any questions. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Sincerely,

--
Justin Harford
Project Coordinator