[nabs-l] Question for Anyone Who Has Studied Abroad

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 02:08:50 UTC 2017

Hi,
When I was considering doing my internship abroad, my vocational rehabilitation counselor was in full support of this and  was willing to financially support me if at all possible. I did approach my counselor with justification in hand, as I was going to teach English for my internship, and my long-term career goal is to welcome internationals to the United States. Therefore, I justified this overseas internship with the fact that it would be best for me to have a cross cultural experience to gain firsthannd knowledge of entering a new culture, as it would allow me to be more empathetic towards those that I welcome. I also provided justification by mentioning the fact that international experience is highly looked upon in a resume by prospective employers. International experience displays one's ability to interact cross culturally, and this is of great importance in our ever-increasing age of globalization. My plans have since changed, and I am finishing my internship locally, but it is definitely something worth pursuing. Also, you might want to check out various scholarships that are specific to this, and there is also an organization called abroad with disabilities that would be a very good resource for you. Make sure that you do your own outside research through organizations such as mobility international USA which was mentioned below, and abroad with disabilities, and also by finding your own other funding sources before you approach your vocational rehabilitation agency. This will show that you are proactive. Also, try to find out maybe a list of programs that you would like to apply for and the cost associated with them, including any additional cost associated with maybe having an assistant for travel inside your host country. Having this information when approaching your vocational rehabilitation counselor will also display your proactive nature and allow him or her to use that information in making a decision. Of course, he or she may need to take that information to a higher authority within the agency for approval.
I hope this helps, and have a wonderful experience abroad whenever you are able to travel!

Sent from my iPhone