[nabs-l] Question for Anyone Who Has Studied Abroad

NCDE Clearinghouse clearinghouse at miusa.org
Fri Feb 24 22:07:00 UTC 2017

Dear Vejas,

This is a great question. I am sure that you will receive a lot of
useful experience from the students on this list, and we will just share
our two cents based on our work on this topic and stories we’ve
collected. Here’s our general tipsheet on using VR for international
exchange: http://www.miusa.org/resource/tipsheet/vocrehab

Whether and how much support your vocational rehabilitation counselor
offers you for your study abroad program will depend on your unique
situation, whether or not you will receive course credit for your study
abroad program, your reasonable accommodation needs, what you both agree
on and whether or not you can demonstrate that it will advance your job
skills.

Here are stories from a few of people who used VR for study abroad.
Although the stories don’t go into detail about what it covered, you can
see the variety of students and programs that were supported.
http://www.miusa.org/resource/story/xuan
http://www.miusa.org/resource/story/beth
http://www.miusa.org/resource/story/mallory

Vocational Rehabilitation paid for Xuan’s tuition, a plane ticket, and
an hourly rate for her cousin to serve as her personal assistant for a
five-week faculty-led study abroad program to London. Beth’s paid for
tuition, housing, fees and books for a year abroad at a UK university.
I’m not sure what Mallory’s costs were covered, but we met another
student recently also in Arizona and she had tuition covered but not
airfare.

Another low vision student from Nebraska years ago went to Eastern
Europe (we no longer have her story online). Her VR counselor used
Nebraska Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired (NCBVI) funds
for her semester abroad, covering her tuition, books and supplies as had
been done for the previous semesters. NCBVI also contributed 50% of the
cost of a portable notetaker for her use with her research, e-mails to
professors, data collection and writing assignments.

Check with your vocational rehabilitation counselor about the steps that
they will expect you to take to request funding. Also if you receive SSI
or SSDI then learn more about that too:
http://www.miusa.org/resource/tipsheet/ssi

Finally, if you have not had the chance, I encourage you to take a look
at our study abroad planning resources at www.MIUSA.org/plan.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us at
clearinghouse at MIUSA.org in addition to this excellent listserv.

Sincerely

--
Justin Harford
Project Coordinator