[nabs-l] Biggest Transitions from Training to College or College to Training

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 15:23:48 UTC 2017

Vejas:

Thanks for starting a very interesting discussion. As you know, I'm taking a gap year between high school and college to attend LCB, so I haven't yet had the experience of the training-to-college transition. I will say, however, that I too will likely need some time to get used to the lack of spontaneity in one's ability to visit friends outside of class. By nature I'm a spontaneous person, so this was one ofthe first things I came to like about LCB's setup. However, if my college's dorm setup is like yours, I anticipate that I would be able to text/call a friend and ask him/her to come down and open the building. Perhaps this is less convient than the apartment structure of the training centers, but it certainly doesn't eliminate your ability to visit a friend outside your dorm.

Also, dorm life is quite different from apartment life. Whereas in apartments two roommates have complete control over how the apartment is arranged, in a dorm the roommates must conform at least partially to the college's living arrangements. I'm usually able to adapt fairly easily, so this shouldn't be a big prom, but it will be a transition nonetheless.

On a more positive (maybe) note, most colleges have a cafeteria which serves all 3 meals ofthe day and which is included as part ofa meal plan. For those of us who don't really like to cook, this is a welcome break from the cooking and dishwashing which happens every day around the center. However, this doesn't allow forthe freedom of choice which comes with doing one's own grocery shopping. Also, I'm a bit concerned that after 4 years of cafeteria meals, I may lose some ofthe skills I've learned in home ec. So, though I'm looking forward to not having to do the daily cooking, I think even this will come with some pros and cons.

These are just my thoughts as I prepare forthe transition which you and others have already made. I look forward to reading some more experienced comments from others.

Chris Nusbaum

Sent from my iPhone