[nabs-l] Biggest Transitions from Training to College or College toTraining

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sat Feb 25 02:18:47 UTC 2017

Hi Vejas and all,

Also being a student transitioning from training to college, I'm
completely with you on these things, although with slightly
different conditions.
First, you're right about the schedule.  On weekdays, I had to
get up early every day as if it were a school day (which, by the
way, it technically was, because we were in training from 9:00 AM
until 2:30 PM).  In college, though, I find my class schedule to
be far more efficient.  During the week, the only day I have to
get up early is on Wednesdays, because, even though I have
exactly the same schedule on Mondays and Wednesdays, I go home on
weekends and come back to campus on Monday mornings.  I have a
class at 8:15 on Mondays and Wednesdays, but on Tuesdays and
Thursdays, I don't start till the afternoon, so I actually get to
sleep in on those days as if it were a weekend or holiday! That's
actually good, because I'd the whole morning to complete any
last-minute assignments that I didn't work on the previous
day/night.

I also agree about the friends.  In my experience, (yours may be
a little different,) it's far quicker and easier to make friends
with other people who are blind than sighted.  I say this from
personal experience, having transferred to a school for the blind
from public school (only because I had some major problems in
public school with some of my teachers and my TVI,) and I've made
many friends in both places.  For me, (at least right now,) this
is easier because other blind people are very much like you in
the sense that they have the same disability, and therefore,
probably also the same interests as you, and it would be easy to
engage in conversation.  On a college campus where practically
all the people there are sighted, it's more difficult because,
even though it's a relatively small campus, everyone is always
running around everywhere doing multiple things at once, and so
therefore, it's hard to find/know where the people that you know
are when you want to see them.  I also get a little irritated
sometimes, because (I'm sure you guys have had the same
experience as me,) many people who are sighted and have never
seen a blind person before, see your cane and always assume that
you need help getting somewhere, (like to class,) even though
it's probably quite obvious that you're confidently walking like
you know the route.  It also bothers me that, if I'm walking with
someone (whether I need help or not) they will often tend to grab
my arm without them even asking me if it's OK to do that, which
indicates that many sighted people also don't know how to do
sighted guide properly.  Although I do try my best to not show my
irritation, (I probably wouldn't have any friends if I did,) I
still feel it in my mind.
I'm really hoping to join some clubs on campus, which will
hopefully allow me to make new friends and make them really
understand my blindness.  Although, now that we're talking making
friends, I'm a little nervous because I noticed that, (at least
on my campus,) sometimes, people don't go to an event/activity
that you want and/or you're a part of.  For instance, last
semester, I attended a meeting that discussed the study abroad
program my college offered, but there was practically nobody
there; I was, as far as I know, the only student there, plus
there was the guy in charge of the study-abroad program on
campus, as well as a woman from the university that the program
is a part of.  So, from that experience, I've learned that it's
very difficult to know what different people are interested in,
and whether or not they will take part in any activities that you
like.  In fact, on my way to this study-abroad meeting, I
actually ran into one of my roommates, who asked me what I was up
to.  I told him that I was going to the meeting that discussed
the study-abroad program, and then I asked him if he was going to
attend, and he said no.  I have to admit, I was a little
disappointed by that, and even more disappointed when I realized
that there were only three of us - myself, (the only student
there,) plus the two faculty members.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I hope you understand my
rambling.  :)

Thanks and have a nice weekend,

Sami