[nabs-l] Writing and Editing Documents Using a Screen Reader

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 00:35:40 UTC 2017

Hello All,

Within the past several weeks I have seen a couple of different questions regarding writing and editing written documents using a screen reader on this email list. I have been told that I am a good writer, and I use a screen reader when writing and editing written documents. The types of documents I write the most include email messages like the one I am writing now as well as essay writing assignments for my classes. I also have some limited experience composing an outline for a Power Point presentation, and creating a poster board presentation for a research showcase.

I prefer using the default JAWS voice when writing and editing written documents. This is the voice I started using when I first started using a screen reader, so it is the voice I can understand the best even though there are other voices that might sound more natural to others. When I first started using a screen reader, it took me quite a bit of time to figure out how to use it in a way that works best for me. So if you are just beginning to use a screen reader to complete various writing and editing assignments, give yourself some time to practice using it. The more you use it, the better you will get at using it.

I am not quite sure what my current speed rate is for using JAWS. However, I know it is faster than some people I know, and it is slower than other people that I know. So set it to whatever speed rate works best for you. I usually have the JAWS settings to repeat words as I type and only some punctuation. I find that JAWS reading all punctuation bothers me when writing, and I can always check the punctuation as I go along by reading a particular section of writing by character. But again, you will need to find what works best for you.

When reading through written documents using JAWS, I have noticed that the pause sounds the same when using commas and periods. So if someone tells you that you are not writing complete sentences, be sure to check to see if you have placed a period where you should have placed a comma instead. A good rule of thumb for when to use a comma is the phrase "fan boys," which can help you determine whether or not you need to use a comma or a period. The letters in this popular phrase stands for the most commonly used words that require the use of a comma. These words are: for, and, nor, but, or, yet, and so. It is generally best to place a comma before these words to connect two parts of a sentence together to form a complete sentence.

Other strategies I use when writing and editing written documents include using spell check, and using the arrow keys to read what has already been written. I typically like to read things either line by line or word by word within a line. However, I will also read something character by character when checking for punctuation. I find that reading things line by line provides me with enough context to help me determine whether or not something sounds correct when writing and editing written documents.

When I find it difficult to figure out how to get started on a writing assignment, I generally use a method of free writing to help me generate some ideas for my writing assignment. This process allows me to brainstorm possible ideas for my writing assignment while allowing me to vent all the other thoughts that are floating around in my head that have absolutely nothing to do with my writing assignment. When working on a more polished version of my writing, I will usually follow some sort of outline that I have either created in writing or in my head. I find this helps organize my piece of writing which in turn helps to create a more polished draft.

When I have a difficult time trying to figure out what to say in a sentence when working on a polished draft, I will either write out what I want to say in my head before writing it out in my document, or I will copy and paste the section of the sentence that I like, and create different endings or beginnings for it depending on what part of the sentence I like and want to keep. I have also been known to save different versions of my working drafts in case I want to go back and reread something that I have changed. Perhaps there are more advanced technological ways of being able to do this without creating separate draft files, but this is simply what works best for me.

Anyway, these are some tips and tricks that I use when writing and editing written documents while using a screen reader. I hope this information is helpful to those of you who struggle writing and editing written documents while using a screen reader. However, if you are really struggling with writing assignments, most colleges and universities provide tutoring and writing assistance free to all students including you. So if you have not checked out the tutoring center or writing center on your campus yet, then I highly encourage you to check them out.

Happy writing,
Elizabeth