[nabs-l] How to Work with a Tutor

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 27 16:38:33 UTC 2017

Hello Vejas,

I have used a reader to help me read through the homework problems and write out my answers. If you are looking for a tutor to help you with math, I would start out by telling this person exactly what you have stated in this email.

If you are looking to go over more examples that show how to do each step of the problem, the math tutor should be able to help you find more examples to help you understand the material. However, the tutor should also be able to help you go through a homework problem step by step to help you solve it at which may also serve as an example.

I know that for the math classes at my college, we do not need to do every homework problem that appears in the textbook. So if you are not assigned to do every problem in the textbook as part of your homework assignment, you could go through a couple of the problems that are not assigned with a tutor to serve as more examples.

In my opinion, a good tutor should be able to walk you through each step of a problem without necessarily reading through a textbook example on how to do each step of the problem. Sometimes different people explain things a bit differently, so perhaps your tutor can help explain things a bit differently than your professor in a way that will help you be able to understand things better.

I hope this gives you some ideas about how to work with a tutor. I am not sure if there really is a right way and a wrong way to work with a tutor as everyone learns things differently. So I think the best thing is to find what works best for you.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth