[nabs-l] Announcement for NFB students

Bryan Duarte bjduarte at asu.edu
Sat Jun 3 03:35:14 UTC 2017

The National Federation of the Blind of Washington is pleased to
announce that we are accepting applications for our 2017 Scholarship
Program. We will award 2 scholarships totaling $5,000 to 2 outstanding
blind students in our state. The scholarships will be awarded at the
banquet of our state National Federation of the Blind convention,
which will be held November 3-5 at the Hotel RL, located at 2300 East
Evergreen Dr. SW, Olympia, WA 98502.

All applicants must be:

*	Legally blind in both eyes
*	Residents of the state of Washington
*	 Pursuing a full-time undergraduate or graduate course of study or a
part-time student who also works full-time
*	Available to participate in the entire 2017 NFB of Washington state convention

In addition to a scholarship, each winner will receive assistance to
attend the 2017 NFB of Washington annual convention, providing an
excellent opportunity for networking with active blind persons in many
different professions and occupations. The scholarships are awarded at
the banquet on Saturday night of the convention. Attendance at the
convention is mandatory.

Each scholarship application must include:

*	Completed scholarship application form (attached)
*	An essay describing the applicant’s abilities, academic
achievements, community leadership, future goals and philosophy of
blindness
*	High school and/or up-to-date college transcripts
*	2 letters of recommendation

All applicants must also contact Cindy Bennett, one of this year’s
Scholarship Committee co-chairs, for a telephone interview. Cindy can
be reached at clb5590 at gmail.com or (828) 989-5383.

All completed scholarship packets must be received by Friday,
September 22, 2017.

APPLICATION PACKETS RECEIVED AFTER SEPTEMBER 22 WILL NOT BE
CONSIDERED. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED.

Send completed scholarship application packets to:

Cindy Bennett
NFB of Washington
Scholarship co-chair
Clb5590 at gmail.com

Or mail to:
National Federation of the Blind of Washington
PO Box 2516
Seattle, WA 98111

If you have questions please contact Cindy Bennett.

Please feel free to make additional copies of this letter and the
application form, and distribute them to any interested blind
students.

Bryan Duarte | software engineer
ASU Computer Science Ph.D Student
Alliance for Person-centered Accessible Technology IGERT Fellow
National Association of Blind Students | Board Member
Arizona Association of Blind Students | President