[nabs-l] Questions Regarding Campus Career Services

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 19 22:15:49 UTC 2017

 Hello all,

I had an appointment with the career advisor on campus today. My appointment did not go very well. So I am curious if anyone else on the email list has made use of the career services on campus as well as what your experience making use of the career services on campus might be.

Basically, I was told that she did not have the expertise to help students with disabilities. So rather than assist me and exploring possible career choices that would match my interests and abilities, she spent most of the time trying to figure out where else I might be able to go to receive assistance in exploring career choices as a student with a disability. However, I was simply seeking The same career advising that is offered to any other student on campus. I ended up walking out of my appointment early because I was so frustrated that the career advisor was simply focusing on my disabilities rather than provide me  with the career advising that is provided to any other student on campus.

Even though the career advisor denies this,  I definitely felt as though  I was being discriminated  against based on my disabilities. Has anyone else  experienced a similar situation  when working with career services on campus?  If so,  how did you deal with this situation?  I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions as to how I might be able to deal with the situation.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

Sent from my iPhone