[nabs-l] Transitioning to college or training center and being almost a senior in high school

Mikayla Gephart mikgephart at icloud.com
Fri Mar 3 02:27:55 UTC 2017

Hi all,
    I am counting on my Federation family to help me during this time of excitement anticipation, and stress. Next year, I will be a senior in high School. I am planning on starting my college journey at a community college to transition into the college thing, and to get some of my general education courses out of the way. However, I also want to attend an NFB training center, as I know I am not fully independent. I know this is a personal decision for each individual, but what do you guys think about going to a training center before community college, after community college but before going to a four year universityity, or after a four year university? I will also be meeting with my VR counselor soon. I know that you usually have to justify going to a NFB training center as opposed to a state training center. When do you think I should bring this up to my counselor? I like her, but am a little nervous to bring this up to her. Also, how do you justify it positively? I went to the state center’s summer program last summer. It was good, but I feel like I would have a better experience at the NFB center. We had one low vision instructor, and the rest of the instructors were sighted. Also, we went to see a movie, and the theater did not provide audio description. They also do not make us work under blindfold. Any help will be appreciated. My family and I will also be attending convention! Thank you.
Best,
Mikayla