[nabs-l] taking dance classes

Katelyn MacIntyre katelynmacmusic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 21:21:42 UTC 2017

Hi Ahbee,
That's wonderful that you want to continue dancing! I also did various types of dance growing up, including clogging for many years! Now I am a competitive ballroom dancer, and I am happy to try to help in any way I can.
Usually when starting a new class with a new instructor, I introduce myself to them right before the class begins, explain that I am blind, and ask them to please be as verbal as possible when teaching, since I will not be able to see what they are doing. Like Miso said, I can usually then follow along pretty well and try to do the steps based on the instructor's explanations, asking for clarification when I need it, or asking the other students or friends around me if I'm doing it correctly. Depending on the class-size, if you are able to have a few moments with the teacher, you can certainly still ask to feel their body position, foot position, etc., or ask them to help shape your arms, head, etc. in the proper directions. Then, if I still have questions by the end of the class, I usually try to approach the teacher and ask for any additional clarifications to help solidify what was learned. The nice thing about ballroom is you are working with a partner much of the time, so often you can work together to figure out what you should be doing. Remember that everyone else will be learning alongside you, so it's OK to ask questions. Even though they can probably see the instructor, they might still have the same question as you do. The important thing is to try not to get frustrated if you're not understanding the step right away, which is easier said than done, but to keep trying and remember it's supposed to be fun! :-)
I'd be happy to talk anything dance with you further, so please feel free to email me off list at katelynmacmusic at gmail.com any time.
I hope this is helpful, and again please feel to reach out with any other questions.
Happy dancing!

~Katelyn MacIntyre
www.katelynmac.com
www.facebook.com/KatelynMacMusic
@KatelynMacMusic
Vice President, National Federation of the Blind Performing Arts Division