[nabs-l] More Questions Regarding Qualified Readers

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 7 19:46:34 UTC 2017

Hello All,

Please forgive the multiple posts. However, after sending my previous email, I was wondering if there might be any kind of standers or guidelines for reading materials for math or science classes. If there are any credible sources for standards or guidelines for reading materials for math or science classes, perhaps this might help me establish a good definition of a qualified reader for my math classes.

I understand some of you may believe that Braille is the only way to go in terms of being able to access materials for math classes. However, as I have already indicated, I do not know Braille well enough to use for my math classes. And as someone who grew up sighted, most of the time it is just easier for someone to read me a simple graphic or chart than it is for me to figure out how to read this information in Braille.

The types of graphics and charts that were included in the math class that I tried to take this semester included such things as number lines and a chart that was like an excel spreadsheet listing names of cities down one Colum and temperatures going down another Colum. I am not quite sure what might be included in the other math classes that I need to take to meet the university math requirement for the university I would like to be able to transfer to after completing my associates degree.

I am not looking to complete advance math classes here. I am simply trying to take what is required to meet the transfer requirements. However, I am not quite sure how to go about fulfilling my math requirement when the disabilities office at the community college that I attend does not appear to work with me so I can gain equal access to the course required for my math classes.

I do not know how else to gain access to the course materials required for my math classes, and so far the college does not agree with me on what constitutes as a qualified reader. So again, any assistance anyone could provide in helping me find a credible source for a good clear definition of qualified reader would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Elizabeth