[nabs-l] More Questions Regarding Qualified Readers

Vejas Vasiliauskas alpineimagination at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:04:33 UTC 2017

Hi Elizabeth,
I didn't know that there was such a thing as a "qualified"
reader"-I have learned that there are volunteer and paid readers.
I would think that the ideal math and science reader should be
able to understand how to do all the basic math and science
symbols.
I have a math reader.  I have the book in Braille, but it is to
clarify with diagrams.  She's a freshman at my college also, and
took the material I am currently taking last semester, so it is
nice and fresh in her mind.  (As I mentioned awhile back in one
of my other emails to you, my Disability Services chooses readers
by departments, although I fully understand that yours are not
willing.)
I think the 2 best options are:
1.  Department of Rehab: How flexible are they? Ideally they
should be able to pay for you to have a human reader if your DSS
are unwilling.
2.  Find your own reader via church, putting up posters, or maybe
even emailing your Dean? They might be able to connect you with
some people.  Explain that you're looking for someone with basic
math and science abilities.  Then I sofest interviewing them.
Since you already tried to take that course this semester, you
may already have some worksheets available.  Then you could ask
them questions like, "What does this say?" Or "Can you read
this?"
So I think your ideal reader should:
1.  Understand basic math and science skills (if they understand
advanced, even better)
2.  Be willing to work with you and take your commands such as
"slower" and "faster"
3.  Not have too heavy an accent.
Hope this helps,
Vejas