[nabs-l] CItation managers and Jaws or NVDA

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 20:03:04 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Sorry for the cross-posting, but I'm hoping to find any answers there
might be to my questions fairly quickly.  I'm no worse off if nothing
comes from this discussion, but it would be really helpful with a
project I'm working on if information about accessibility and using
these software programs/methods is out there.

First, I'm wondering if anyone has experience using Mendeley for
organizing citations with Jaws or NVDA.  What about End Note or
Zotero?  I'm hoping Mendeley is usable as I'm on a student budget, but
if End Note or Zotero are markedly more accessible, I'd be interested
in trying them.  My Jaws is 13, but my NVDA is up-to-date.

Second, I'm about to make a matrix for organizing and analyzing my
sources.  I was thinking of just doing this in excel, but if there are
better/more accessible methods for this organization I'd love to hear
them before I put the time into making a huge matrix.  I have 11
sources so far, but still have time to gather books and articles from
related fields.

The study I'm designing has the aim of identifying barriers in
training for blind undergraduate music therapy students, as well as
the accommodations that could be made for them in their clinical
training to optimize training outcomes.  The assignment for this class
is to complete a perspectus and the literature review, so the study
will be well on its way to being organized by the time we leave school
and can be presented to graduate schools if/when we apply.  Having
methods for managing my citations and organizing my information will
be helpful, as due to the literature gap in my field I'm pulling
resources from disability studies, psychology, and education from
journals I'm not very familiar with.  Any suggestions or feedback
based on professional/student research experiences would be
appreciated.