[nabs-l] More Questions Regarding Qualified Readers

Carly Mihalakis carlymih at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 06:43:05 UTC 2017

Evening, Elizabeth,

         Like your's, my own relationship with the braille dot is a
little bit of a troubled one. After being convinced of the
nonnegotiable Merrit of using braille for my entire childhood, at age
19, I became brain damaged, a result of said brain damage being a
crippling case of tactual appraxia (inability for hand and brain to
communicate details), a show stopper if you hope to see braille
characters with some degree of accuracy. However, my problems are
hardware-based,I  maintain mental knowledge of the code and can write
on a slate or braille writer, if pressed. Not that the product will
be anything to write home about..
But no, knowledge of the braille code does not indicate an excellent
literacy, or any other flavor of superior blind whatever. I don't
blame you for just getting a reader to communicate complex math
expressions. Why ought a formerly sighted person be a slave to
whether or not she is a Nemeth mistress, determine how well she does
in a math class, anyway? So braille is not, the be all, end all
especially when extenuating circumstances play such a role in shaping
the outcome of the matter?
Keep us posted, Lizzy!