[nabs-l] Important: Scholarship Information

Michael D Ausbun mausbun at unr.edu
Tue Mar 14 18:45:08 UTC 2017

Dear fellow students,
	Are you currently or will you soon be a college student? Have you thought about receiving free money, to curtail some of your probable student debt? Have you taken into consideration that on top of your standard tuition costs, textbooks often range into the hundreds of dollars? Well, you are just in luck!
	As I am sure you are aware, the National Federation of the Blind offers thirty scholarships ranging between 3,000 to 12,000 dollars. On top of the monetary gaining’s, those who are selected are provided with an opportunity to attend the National Federation of the Blind’s annual National convention, and given a unique experience of being mentored by different blind professionals each day, in areas of interest to the scholarship recipient.
	Now, you might be saying to yourself, “Why on earth would I want to sit around with all these blind people, and hang out with these rigid, snooty professional types?” The answer is quite simple, although multifaceted. First, the National Convention is the largest gathering of blind people, and is brought to us by the oldest and largest organization of blind people in the nation. Thus, the event itself is full of opportunities to network, make connections (both in the blindness community and without), and necessarily must be a good time–after all, there has been lots of years to perfect this event. Secondly, the misconceptions about blindness, which we all strive to modify and correct, are shaped at the National Convention. We have opportunities to hear methods for reshaping the world, and can gather new strategies for implementing change in our own lives to grant greater opportunity for us and others. Finally, scholarship recipients are granted an opportunity to be mentored, and hang out with, leaders within the Federation–the previously mentioned professional types. Each of these mentors is an expert in their field, and have had plenty of experience exercising their opportunities, devising ways and means to be successful.
	The deadline is fast approaching; it is only seventeen days away! The largest barrier for you in this process is the application itself; it is necessarily true that those who do not apply never receive a scholarship. So, what are you waiting for? Do not forget that you need to have an interview with your state's National Federation of the Blind Affiliate President. Good luck! For more information, please visit:
https://nfb.org/scholarships

Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun
Secretary, national Association of Blind Students
A proud Devision of the national Federation of the Blind