[nabs-l] NFB Training Center

Michael Ausbun mausbun at nevada.unr.edu
Mon May 1 13:44:20 UTC 2017

Hello Allie,
	My name is Michael Ausbun, and I currently serve as the National
Association of Blind Student's Secretary. More importantly for your
question, I currently attend the Louisiana Center for the Blind. Last year,
I made the decision that I would attend a training center once I finished my
undergraduate, but before I started my graduate program. This turned out to
be one of the best decisions I have ever made.
	At a training center, students are subjected to a variety of events,
classes, and situations which strengthen their use of alternative techniques
and confidence in their own abilities as blind people. I will never tell
someone that the process is easy, because that would be unjust and a lie;
however, what I can say, is that using a guided discovery model of learning,
most students come out of centers with a little swagger in their step.
	Students learn how to use a long white cane in their travel classes;
learn to read and write braille effectively to take notes, label objects,
and other uses which maximize productivity in one's life; learn alternative
techniques to cook and execute other daily living tasks; learn to
efficiently use access technology to enhance the quality of life of a
person; and build one's confidence in some sort of industrial arts setting.
	From my understanding, summer programs are slightly different than
the typical adult program, but they are extremely beneficial never the less.
If you have any questions, I would love to chat with you. If I cannot answer
your questions, I know several people who probably can.
I hope this information helps.
Respectfully,
Michael Ausbun
Secretary, National Association of Blind Students