[nabs-l] Students in Georgia

Justin Heard braillemasterjustin at gmail.com
Fri May 12 15:45:54 UTC 2017

Greetings fellow students!

My name is Justin Heard, and I am president of the Georgia Association
of Blind Students. I write with news on what our division is doing, and
hope you will be as excited as I am.

Currently, we are working on recruiting students to our division. In the
past, we have had a limited number of people, and have focused our
efforts on fundraising. then I realized that fundraising was the reason
our division had failed. We focused so much on raising money, and less
on what our division is meant to accomplish. We are supposed to bring
blind students together from all across our state. We are supposed to
give them a place to ask questions, to meet their peers, and most
importantly to learn. By focusing on our finances, we failed, thus
pushing away our foundation.

After not having any students show up for our NFB state convention, me
and the president of the National Federation of the Blind of Georgia
changed tactics. Let's bring blind people together in an unofficial
setting. Let's create an environment where they don't have to focus on
meetings, conference calls, raising money, etc. Let's find a way to let
students come together. And we have.

Now, I am proud to announce that we have an Allo Messenger group that
has 9 members in it, and we are growing. If you are a student in our
wonderful state, or who will be attending school here soon, we encourage
you to join. Please feel free to send me your contact information, and I
will tell you how to become a member of our group.

Our goal is to work up to an official division, where we raise money,
help with legislation, and all of the other exciting things that
divisions do. But in order to get there, we must have students that
care. We must have a group of people at the core who know each other,
and are excited to work together. I believe that this is the best
approach, and hope other state divisions who are building will follow
our example.

In other news, we are planning our first student seminar in many years
for October! I will send out updates when we have more concrete
information.

Please spread the word about what we're doing to any students you know
who can benefit from our projects.

Happy Friday!