[nabs-l] serious question

Jamie P. blackbyrdfly at gmail.com
Sun May 21 01:14:06 UTC 2017

I've been in situations where this was a major concern for me. Some strategies I used successfully are listed below:

1. Invest in a small safe or locking file cabinet and lock valuables inside when you aren't going to be home using them. Things like cash, checks, bank cards you don't carry with you, and valuable electronics or jewelry.

2. If you are concerned about housemates stealing things when you're asleep or not home, get a security lock for your bedroom door. These are cheap and easy to install.

3. Keep small valuables you use a lot on your person, such as wallets or phones or headphones. When you go out in public, don't ever set them down where you can't directly monitor them. When not in use, keep in your pocket or backpack, and don't let your backpack sit unattended either.

4. Minimize the number of valuable things you carry with you regularly and make sure the ones you leave at home are locked away safely. Don't carry more than you need. Less to look after.

5. Of you are concerned about forceful theft, see about taking a self defense class. These are often free or low cost at recreation centers, colleges, or your local police department and can make a massive difference, even for those with disabilities. Half of self defense is learning to recognize danger before you are in danger.

Best,

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone