[nabs-l] Question about being blind and turning 18

Sarah Jevnikar sarah.jevnikar at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 20:44:16 UTC 2017

Hi there,
I get my bank statements electronically, and pay all my regular bills that
way. As others have said, having an OCR option is essential for any mail.

As for record-keeping, I have hanging folders of printed material for
various things (bills, statements, tax forms, etc.). I don't label the
individual forms but order them chronologically, and label the files
themselves in print and Braille (I live with sighted people so print is
important...) For taxes, for instance, I have a "Taxes" hanging folder that
has envelopes in it for each calendar year. The folder and each envelope has
print and Braille labels, but each paper in the envelopes themselves
(paystubs, charitable donations, medication receipts, really anything that
is tax-deductible) goes in those envelopes without a Braille label. Once
taxes are filed, my proof of filing goes in there too.  I have file folders
on my pc for financial documents, though need to be better at saving
invoices emailed to me by Amazon etc. I have created a personal budget
spreadsheet so I can keep track of my spending.

I don't mean to patronize anyone for all this specific information, but I
found organizing hard-copy documents really stressful and overwhelming for
some reason, so having someone help me set up a system I could stick to was
necessary for me.

HTH,
Sarah