[nabs-l] Reading Through a Textbook

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 18 06:22:16 UTC 2017

Elizabeth,
I find scanned texts a problem and try to avoid them due to errors. Clunky
words and extra punctuation make it hard to read with speech.
If using jaws, you might try setting your punctuation settings to none.
Have you looked for the book through Learning Ally? This might be an option
to read by listening to human speech if you are a member and they have the
book.
I also like the suggestions from Vejas to use Ibooks if its available there
or even asking someone to read to you like a classmate.

You might be able to edit it. We don't know what program you are reading in.
I would guess Openbook because you use Jaws.
If not Openbook, you can
convert to Microsoft Word from whatever scanning program you used.
Word has a find and replace feature.

Openbook has a find and replace feature.
If you used Openbook to scan and read the file, you can use the find and
replace feature to eliminate the dashes.
Do these things to use find and replace.

1. Go to top of file by pressing Control Home.
2. Go to edit mode so you can modify the file by pressing Control E. This is
a toggle command. So, to get out of edit mode, press Control E again to get
to read only mode.
3. Activate the find and replace dialogue box. The short cut command for
this is Control H.
4. You can press tab key to navigate this box just like other boxes you use
with Jaws. In the find edit box press the hyphen key. In the replace box,
leave it blank. Activate the replace button.
5. Activate the replace all button by either tabbing to it or pressing Alt
E.
6. Activate the okay button after the message comes up saying it replaced so
many items.
7. Save changes in the regular way such as pressing control S.

Alternatively, you can set the speech punctuation to none or some. Jaws or
the openbook voice should not read dashes if you set it this way.

If you want more details on how to do any of this let me know.
Hope this helps.

Ashley

2.