[NABS-L] CONFERENCE CALL - NABS Code of Conduct (Sunday, April 22, at 8pm eastern)

Kathryn Webster, President, National Association of Blind Students nabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 03:04:10 UTC 2018

Students,

On Thursday, March 9, 2018, the National Association of Blind Students
(NABS) Board adopted the below Code of Conduct as Federation policy. As our
organization puts a concerted emphasis on diversity, inclusion, equality,
and respect, our members and leaders are expected to abide by the below Code
in carrying out the mission and purpose of the National Federation of the
Blind. We are grateful to President Riccobono and the National Board of
Directors for spearheading efforts to explicitly adopt a Federation Code of
Conduct as we continue improving the lives of blind people.

I invite each of you to not only read, but understand the NABS Code of
Conduct as outlined. As stated, we do not tolerate harassment, assault,
discrimination, or behavior unbecoming to any of our members. This Code of
Conduct sets forth a minimum standard; forcing all of us to reflect and make
choices each and every day. I am incredibly passionate about the initiative
undertaken and am glad that our students are encouraged and expected to
follow the standards. Thus, I am interested in questions, concerns,
hesitations, etc. Our members are the core of our greater organization; and
as such, vital in the progression of NABS and the National Federation of the
Blind.

On Sunday, April 22, at 8pm eastern, we are hosting a call to discuss the
adopted policies as a means of transparency and accountability to each of
us. I encourage you to join President Riccobono and myself, as well as our
NABS Board, to dissect the below material and voice any questions you may
have. While the standards outlined within the Code of Conduct were expected
prior to the formal adoption, we should place a high priority on personally
comprehending the guidelines.

When - Sunday, April 22

Time - 8pm eastern

Where - NABS line; 712-770-5197,,265669.

I'm here to address any questions before, after, or during! I thank you for
your time, energy, and outstanding participation in the National Association
of Blind students!

NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS CODE OF CONDUCT

I. Introduction

The National Association of Blind Students is part of a nationwide community
of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's
blind. The Federation knows that blindness is not the characteristic that
defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind
people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and
our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you
back. To help carry out the Federation's vital mission, this Code of Conduct
sets forth policies and standards that all members, especially Federation
leaders, are expected to adopt and follow.

II. Diversity Policy

The National Association of Blind Students embraces diversity and full
participation as core values in its mission to achieve equality,
opportunity, and security for the blind. We are committed to building and
maintaining a national division that is unified in its priorities and
programs and is directed by the membership. We respect differences of
opinion, beliefs, identities, and other characteristics that demonstrate
that blind people are a diverse cross section of society. Furthermore, the
division is dedicated to continuing to establish new methods of membership
and leadership development that reflect the diversity of the entire blind
community. In promoting a diverse and growing organization, we expect
integrity and honesty in our relationships with each other and openness to
learning about and experiencing cultural diversity. We believe that these
qualities are crucial to fostering social and intellectual maturity.
Intellectual maturity also requires individual struggle with unfamiliar
ideas. We recognize that our views and convictions will be challenged, and
we expect this challenge to take place in a climate of tolerance and mutual
respect in order to maintain a united organization. While we encourage the
exchange of differing ideas and experiences, we do not condone the use of
demeaning, derogatory, or discriminatory language, action, or any other form
of expression intended to marginalize an individual or group. The National
Association of Blind Students does not tolerate discrimination on the basis
of race, creed, color, religion, gender identity and expression, sexual
orientation, national origin, citizenship, marital status, age, genetic
information, disability, or any other characteristic or intersectionality of
characteristics.

III. Non-Discrimination and Anti-Harassment Policy

The National Association of Blind Students will not tolerate discrimination
on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, gender identity and
expression, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, marital
status, age, genetic information, disability, or any other characteristic or
intersectionality of characteristics. Harassment on the basis of any of
these characteristics similarly will not be tolerated. Although this Code of
Conduct establishes a minimum standard prohibiting discrimination and
harassment, nothing in this Code should be interpreted to limit in any way a
person's right to report abuse or harassment to law enforcement when
appropriate.

Sexual harassment is prohibited by state and federal law and also will not
be tolerated by the National Association of Blind Students. Complaints of
harassment may be lodged by a female against a male, by a female against a
female, by a male against a male, or by a male against a female. Sexual
harassment is defined as "unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual
favors, sexually motivated physical contact, or other verbal or physical
conduct or communication of a sexual nature." The following conduct is
either considered conduct that by itself is sexual harassment, or that has
the potential risk of causing sexual harassment to occur, and this conduct
is therefore prohibited:

*                     unwelcome inappropriate physical contact or touching;

*                     repeating of sexually suggestive
jokes/references/innuendoes and comments about an individual's body/sexual
prowess/physical attributes/dress;

*                     the use of sexually derogatory
language/pictures/videos toward/about another person;

*                     the use of inappropriate sexual gestures;

*                     sexually suggestive propositions; and

*                     explicit or implicit threats that failure to submit
will have negative consequences.

Under this policy, harassment can be verbal, written, or physical conduct
that denigrates or shows hostility or aversion toward an individual because
of his or her race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status,
citizenship, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by
law; or that of his or her relatives, friends, or associates, and that a)
has the purpose or effect of creating an intimidating, hostile or offensive
environment; b) has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with
an individual's performance or involvement in the organization; or c)
otherwise adversely affects an individual's opportunities for
participation/advancement in the organization.

Harassing conduct includes epithets, slurs, or negative stereotyping;
threatening, intimidating or hostile acts including bullying; denigrating
jokes; and written or graphic material that denigrates or shows hostility or
aversion toward an individual or group that is placed on walls or elsewhere
on the organization's premises or circulated by email, phone (including
voice messages), text messages, social networking sites, or other means.

IV. Social Media and Web Policy

All members of the Federation, but especially officers of National
Association of Blind Students, should follow these recommended guidelines
when making comments online, posting to a blog, using
Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn/YouTube/Pinterest/Instagram/similar tools, and/or
using other platforms that fall under the definition of social media:

*         Promote the mission and branding message of the organization in
comments/posts.

*         Recognize that you are morally and legally responsible for
comments/pictures posted online.

*         Be aware that the audience includes members and nonmembers of the
NFB, both youth and adults, representing diverse cultures and backgrounds.

*         Refrain from using profanity/derogatory language.

*         Post/respond with integrity. Though you may disagree with a post,
be respectful and factual. Do not fight or air personal grievances online.

*         Do not post materials that are inappropriate for children/minors
to view/share/read.

V. Conflict of Interest Policy

Each National Association of Blind Students officer (hereafter national
division leader) is expected to take appropriate responsibility to protect
the Federation from misappropriation or mismanagement of Federation funds
(including funds of the division in which the national division leader
assumes a leadership role).

Each national division leader is expected to disclose the existence of any
potentially conflicting personal financial interest or relationship to the
full National Association of Blind Students Board of Directors and seek its
review and approval, as specified below. For example:

*         A national division leader must seek board review and approval of
his or her receipt of salary or compensation of any kind from the Federation
(including an affiliate, chapter, or division).

*         A national division leader must seek board review and approval of
receipt by his or her spouse, parent, child, sibling, or other close
relative of salary or compensation of any kind from the Federation
(including an affiliate, chapter, or division).

*         A national division leader must seek board review and approval of
any ownership interest exceeding 5 percent in or of any salary,
compensation, commission, or significant tangible gift from any commercial
venture doing business or seeking to do business with the Federation
(including an affiliate, chapter, or division). This process will also apply
to the review of such interests involving spouses, parents, children,

*         In reviewing matters brought pursuant to this section, the
division officer seeking division board review and approval will refrain
from voting.

*         Each national division leader shall take appropriate steps to
avoid unauthorized or inaccurate appearances or official endorsement by the
Federation (including an affiliate, chapter, or division) of any product,
service, or activity that has not been so endorsed. For example, because the
Federation never endorses political parties or candidates for elected
office, any national division leader participating in the political process
must take care to avoid creating an appearance of official Federation
endorsement.

VI. Policy While Interacting with Minors

For purposes of this Code of Conduct and consistent with most legal
standards, a minor is any individual under the age of eighteen. While
interacting with any minor, a national division officer shall recognize that
a minor cannot legally give consent for any purpose even if said minor is
verbally or otherwise expressing consent. For example, a minor may say that
he/ or she consents to physical interaction. However, such consent is not
valid or legal and should not be accepted. A parent or guardian must be
informed and consulted about any action requiring consent from the minor. A
national division leader shall report any inappropriate interactions between
adults and minors to the minor's parents and law enforcement when
appropriate.

VII. Alcohol and Drug Policy

Although alcoholic beverages are served at some Federation social functions,
members and Federation leaders may not participate in any such functions in
a condition that prevents them from participating safely and from conducting
Federation business effectively or that might cause embarrassment to or
damage the reputation of the Federation. The Federation prohibits the
possession, sale, purchase, delivery, dispensing, use, or transfer of
illegal substances on Federation property or at Federation functions.

VIII. Other General Principles

In addition to the other policies and standards set-forth herein, officers
of the National Association of Blind Students (hereafter national division
leaders) shall adhere to the following standards:

*         National division leaders shall practice accountability and
transparency in all activities and transactions.

*         National division leaders shall foster a welcoming environment at
NFB meetings, events, and conferences that is a cooperative and productive
atmosphere for all members and nonmembers.

*         National division leaders shall interact with NFB staff in a
professional manner and follow proper channels of authority and
communication.

*         National division leaders shall positively promote the NFB through
verbal and written communication.

*         Whenever possible, national division leaders and members are
strongly encouraged to handle conflicts or complaints involving other
members privately, directly, and respectfully. Nothing in this standard is
intended to limit a national division leader's or member's right to pursue
organizational change through appropriate methods or to limit anyone's right
to file a complaint for violation of this Code when necessary.

IX. Violations and Complaint Procedure

Violations of this Code of Conduct, after first being established through
the process set-forth below, are subject to disciplinary action by the
Federation. Such disciplinary actions may include but are not limited to
counselling, verbal and/or written reprimand, probation, suspension or
termination of officer/leadership duties, and/or suspension or expulsion
from the Federation.

*         Any complaint for a violation of this Code of Conduct shall be
filed with the national division president. The national division president
shall appoint a committee of no more than four persons to investigate the
complaint and provide a recommendation for action or lack thereof. The
committee shall be comprised of persons not directly involved in the matters
being raised and who can be completely unbiased about the individuals and
issues addressed in the complaint. Every effort shall be made to appoint a
committee reflecting the broad diversity of individuals in the Federation.
The national division president shall inform the national President in a
timely fashion of any complaints filed and report on the resolution of such
complaints.

*         Complaints shall be treated as confidential in order to protect
the identity and reputation of the person about whom the complaint is filed
and the person filing the complaint.

*         All complaints shall be filed as promptly as possible. Except
under extreme circumstances, no complaint shall be accepted or investigated
after a year from the time of the alleged violation of this Code.

*         Complaints that turn out to be false and used for the purpose of
harassing, intimidating, or retaliating against someone will be subject to
the same kind of disciplinary action enumerated above.

*         Any person dissatisfied with the resolution of a complaint may
file an appeal with the National Association of Blind Students Board of
Directors, which may, in its discretion, take such action as it deems
necessary. If a person is still dissatisfied, such person may raise the
matter to the national board of directors, which may, in its discretion,
take whatever action it deems necessary. No national or state board member
shall participate in the consideration of an appeal under this Code if such
board member is the subject of the complaint or if such board member cannot
be completely unbiased, impartial, and fair while considering the matter.

X. Minimum Standard

This Code of Conduct is intended to recite a minimum set of standards
expected of Federation members. It sets forth the spirit that the Federation
expects of all of its participants toward each other and toward those who
work with the Federation at all of its levels. It is intended to be
interpreted broadly to instill a respectful, cooperative, and welcoming
spirit in members and in the activities of the Federation.

XI. Federation Pledge and Acknowledgement of Code of Conduct

I, (national division leader), pledge to participate actively in the efforts
of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity,
and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the
Federation; and to abide by its Constitution. I further acknowledge that I
have read this Code of Conduct and that I will follow its policies,
standards, and principles.

Sincerely,

Kathryn C. Webster

President | National Association of Blind Students

    A proud division of the National Federation of the Blind

(203) 273-8463

Nabs.president at gmail.com