[NABS-L] Research Participant Solicitation

Lewis, Anil ALewis at nfb.org
Thu Apr 26 19:33:23 UTC 2018

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

Chris Jones is inviting blind and low vision students who are at least 18 years old to take part in a research study. I am a Doctoral Student at Texas A&M University-Commerce in the Department of Education Leadership. As a fellow VI Student I am studying the motivation to continue to pursue your degree in a college or university.

You will be asked to complete a survey that asks about your current school enrollment and about your disability. The questions are rated on a scale based on responses. The scale will be presented for each question with the following options never, occasionally, regularly, frequently, all the time. You will chose the best response that applies to the question

The survey if you so choose to participate in will take you about 20 minutes to complete the online survey to be in this study.

Study Survey UIRL: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JNCTFQC

Risks and Discomforts

The following research study will not have any risks or discomforts.

Possible Benefits

The benefits form this study would be to allow a study to show that students with vision impairment /blindness are motivated to pursue a degree form a college or university.

Protection of Privacy and Confidentiality

We will do everything we can to protect your privacy and confidentiality. We will not tell anybody outside of the research team that you were in this study or what information we collected about you in particular. The data that will be collected will be retained for three years with the major advisor for this study Dr. Madeline Justice. The data will be stored in a secure location and coded in a way that no identifying data can ever be tracked back to the survey.

Choosing to Be in the Study

You do not have to be in this study. Participation is voluntary. You may choose not to take part and you may choose to stop taking part at any time without penalty. You will not be punished in any way if you decide not to be in the study or to stop taking part in the study.

Contact Information

If you have any questions or concerns about this study or if any problems arise, please contact the researcher at

Chris Jones
Department of Education Leadership
Texas A&M University-Commerce
903-581-0719
chris.jones at tamuc.edu<mailto:chris.jones at tamuc.edu>

Or the advisor at

Dr. Madeline Justice
Department of Education Leadership
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Madeline.Justice at tamuc.edu<mailto:Madeline.Justice at tamuc.edu>

If you have any questions or concerns about your rights in this research study, please contact the IRB Chair at

Dr. Tara Tietjen-Smith
Chair, Institutional Review Board (IRB)
Department of Health & Human Performance
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
(903) - 886 - 5545
IRB at tamuc.edu<mailto:IRB at tamuc.edu>

Consent

By beginning the survey you acknowledge that you are at least 18 years old, have read this consent form, have understood the above information, and agree to voluntarily participate in this research.
If you would like a copy of this form for your reference, you may print this out.

Disclaimer