[NABS-L] 12-year-old with disabilities kicked out of movie theater my reaction

Roger Newell inscriptioelectronicaaustralia at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 05:23:01 UTC 2018

Perhaps my opinions are incorrect, but I do not understand how this
could be considered discriminatory.

1. The child's breathing was so loud that it infringed on the ability
for other paying customers to enjoy the movie. When people pay for a
service, they should be able to receive that service in the manner in
which it was supposed to be enjoyed. If you visited a theater and the
person sitting behind you continually kicked the back of your seat, or
if there was a person sitting near you who was making loud tics, or if
there was a baby crying throughout the movie, would you complain? Most
people would.

2. The manager negotiated with the family to try to find a solution
whereby their viewing of the movie would not be interrupted. This
confirms that the manager did try to be inclusive by proactively
asking if there was something the family could do to alleviate the
situation. Whether the manager was trained in how to treat people with
disabilities is irrelevant because his primary motivation was to
satisfy all of the paying customers.

3. When the family said that nothing could be done, the manager
offered the family multiple options. The fact that they considered
this discriminatory is irrelevant because they were putting the right
for their child to watch the movie in front of other customers who
have exactly the same rights.