[NABS-L] [nabs-l] disclosing your disability on a graduate school application

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:16:26 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I'm curious whether those of you who have applied to graduate school,
particularly in STEM subjects, disclosed your disability prior to
being accepted? I generally do not disclose my disability ahead of
time if I have the choice because I want to be considered fairly with
as little prejudice as possible. I've submitted one application
without disclosing my disability anywhere in the application material,
which is definitely the right decision for that situation.

I am however considering whether disclosing my blindness with this
second application would be beneficial or not. This particular
university really seems to emphasize diversity, mentioning unusual
backgrounds and being part of a minority group on both the application
and statement of purpose guidelines (not just the generic "we value
diversity" statement on the website that practically every university
includes). I'm wondering if mentioning my blindness along with other
factors (either on the appropriate place in the application or on my
statement of purpose) would improve my chances of being accepted
because it improves their diversity; however, I am still concerned
about preconceived notions the professors I would like to consider me
for assistantships might have that could cause them to overlook me
entirely.

Thoughts?
Danielle