[NABS-L] NABS-L Cab driver suspended

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 16 17:08:23 UTC 2018

I am also a guide dog user. So, I can say that some airlines do require you
to let them know if you are travelling with an animal. - Some of the
webpages even have a button that asks yes/no if you have a service animal.
This makes sense if they are to have your dog in the cabin, they need to
make sure there is room. I have never been charged extra, but the airline
does need to know because they keep the seat next to you open for your dog.
Not to be on the seat, of course, but because there is not enough room for
your dog at your feet, and blocking the aisle is a hazard. I have flown with
my dog several times now. So, I know what I'm talking about.

Similarily, when you are travelling with multiple people the cab companies
want to know how many people, so they know what vehicle to send. - They are
not collecting information about you specifically, I'm not reading anything
in all of this that says that the person has to give their name, so all that
I'm saying is that the companies know what they are transporting, not the
name of you or your dog. Just if they need space that is suitable for a dog.
Like if I was booking a cab for four people, I would let them know, and if I
didn't and the company sent a two-door hatchback I couldn't blame them for
it.

The law is that they cannot deny you, that person's with a diability need to
be accommodated, but it must be possible for them to accommodate. The
accommodations cannot create undue hardship. If they are attempting to
accommodate and failure to communicate results in there being undue hardship
in implementing the accommodations then the person with a disability will
have a more difficult time in establishing that their rights have been
violated.