[NABS-L] 2018 Nominating Committee

Kathryn Webster, President, National Association of Blind Students nabs.president at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 15:47:50 UTC 2018

Fellow Students,

With the 2018 National Convention upon us in just over two weeks, the NABS
Board is diligently working to ensure our students have a seamless and
enjoyable Convention experience. As many of us know, the National Convention
is a time where our membership decides who should be among our national
leadership. First and foremost, this is a thoughtful process and one that
deserves much care and consideration. As we know, any member who is blind
can be considered for a National Student Division board position. These
roles should be taken seriously, with the understanding that significant
energy, time, and commitment is put into our NABS Board duties. I also want
to note that our NABS Board is willing and eager to chat with any student
interested or potentially interested in seeking a national leadership
position. I love communicating with rising leaders in our movement who are
ready and excited to take the next step on their journey in the National
Federation of the Blind. I welcome any of you to reach out and start these
conversations.

We put a strong emphasis on transparency in the nominating process. This
year, I am excited to announce that our 2018 Nominating Committee Chair is
Michael Ausbun, the First Vice President of NABS. Michael's support,
understanding, commitment, and love for the National Federation of the Blind
and the National Association of Blind Students is admirable. As President, I
am thrilled to appoint Mr. Ausbun to this important leadership role and am
confident that he will execute the duties with grace, patience,
thoughtfulness, and trust.

As chair, Michael will work with a team to suggest future NABS leaders that
may serve our membership. This means Michael will present the committee's
recommendations to the membership during our annual business meeting on the
Fourth of July. It is not up to Michael and  the committee to elect our
leaders; it is up to you! The Nominating Committee serves only to assist the
membership by putting forth capable candidates who have proven their passion
for our work. The recommendations offered are given a great deal of
consideration with varying perspectives. This process is for the benefit of
our organization and one that warrants questions and voices. I encourage
those who are interested in running for a position to speak with Michael
prior to National Convention, as his insight is invaluable. I also suggest
students communicate with me; as I would love to learn more about your
vision and ideas for NABS.

Regardless of anything, any dues paying blind member of NABS has an
opportunity to be considered for our national board. This year, we have five
positions up for election - President, 1st Vice President, 2nd Vice
President, Treasurer, and Secretary. These five positions are 2-year terms,
beginning at the close of this year's National Convention. As all of you
know, I love NABS with all of my heart and am excited to see what this
year's Convention has in store for us.

Please reach out via call or text, any time!

See you in two weeks!

Love,

Kathryn

Kathryn C. Webster

President | National association of Blind Students

(203) 273-8463

Nabs.president at gmail.com