[NABS-L] Melissa Carney for Secretary

Melissa Carney carne23m at mtholyoke.edu
Tue Jun 26 03:34:02 UTC 2018

Hello students,

I am proud to announce that I am running for the position of secretary of
our national student division.

I have been involved in the Federation for just over a year, and during that
year, I had the honor of learning from some of the most dynamic and
enthusiastic leaders in the student division. They taught me about our
philosophy, opened my mind to greater possibilities, pushed me to reach my
full potential, and spurred my inspiration to rebuild the Connecticut
student division. I would like to give back to NABS and all of the students
who have had an impact on my individual growth by instilling the same
independence, confidence, and perseverance in others.

While compiling the NABS Notes for the past few months, I have had the
pleasure of getting to know so many of you an observing all of the exciting
projects within your state divisions. I am impressed with your dedication,
creativity, and positive outlook.

As the president of the Connecticut Association of Blind students and
secretary of the Massachusetts Association of Blind Students, I have
witnessed first-hand the power of effective collaboration and mentorship.
Additionally, I serve as an Accessibility Services Peer Mentor at Mount
Holyoke College, where I assist students with disabilities in the transition
to college and eliminate access barriers that appear on campus.

I am asking for your vote for secretary during our annual NABS business
meeting in Orlando. I hope to apply the ideals of collective action,
community, and mentoring at the national level. It is vital that we all
network with one another in order to create a comprehensive list of
problem-solving strategies, so that no one has to endure struggles alone. As
secretary, I would support NABS in their continued efforts to empower blind
individuals with the determination to live the lives we want. We are not
victims to our disabilities!